Holidays, birthdays and every day celebrations can certainly be events to look forward to, but not when you have difficulty with finding the perfect gift to give. While some people were born to give gifts, the truth is, most of us aren’t very good at it. Rather than getting something for someone that is simply materialistic and not thoughtful, why not save your money and make something yourself. These DIY gift ideas are perfect for any occasion and are guaranteed to be a hit!
A picture is worth a thousand words, right? What’s so great about giving a picture to someone is that it evokes memories and feelings of a previous event, whether they make you think back to when you were younger, someone who has passed or of people who you think about every single day.
Some creative DIY ideas around pictures:
- Picture frame wreath – By gluing small frames from the dollar store to a wreath, you’ll have the opportunity to remind the gift recipient of why you care so much about them.
- Picture magnet – Add an adhesive magnet to the back of a picture frame to make it magnetic and easy to move wherever you want it to go.
- Canvas print – The idea of printing an image to a large canvas has grown to become very popular, and there’s good reason why. Canvas prints allow you to blow up a picture without having to really worry too much about the quality of the picture, and rather than paying a lot of money for a blown up picture and then having to frame it, a canvas print is just the image printed on the canvas, no frame necessary!
While this gift might not come off as a personal or thoughtful gift, there are a lot of great DIY ideas that you can create for coasters. For example, if the gift is needed around Christmas time, you can visit local fresh Christmas tree farms to collect discarded tree rounds. After coating them with polyurethane to create round coasters, this gift is bumped up to awesome.
Some other great coaster ideas include:
- Stamped tiles – Using inexpensive tiles from a home improvement store, you can stamp or etch whatever design you’d like to personalize these coasters.
- Scrabble pieces glued together – Whether you have an old game of scrabble or you found one at the thrift store, these letters can easily be glued together for a set of fun word coasters.
- Circular cork with old maps or jute – Cover circles of cork or thrift store coasters with jute or old maps using glue or mod podge for a creative set of coasters.
Bath and beauty products
For someone who needs some serious pampering, these gift ideas are absolutely perfect. While bath and beauty products have always been a go-to gift idea, think about how much more it will mean to the recipient when they find out that you made the item yourself.
Some bath and beauty gift ideas include:
- Sugar scrubs
- Lavendar sachets
- Hand-carved soap
- Lip gloss
Edible gifts are usually a big hit, whether it’s the holidays or the middle of summer. What makes the DIY food gifts so special is the fact that you know the exact ingredients that are going into your gift, which allows you to decide how healthy you’d like it to be.
Here are some really unique DIY food ideas:
- Edible wreath – Attach clothespins to a cardboard ring to create a colorful wreath. Clip tea bags, hot chocolate packets, spice packets, or even seed packets for a unique and useful gift.
- Homemade vanilla – Mix good quality vodka with vanilla beans in a pretty glass bottle. Just keep in mind that “brewing” takes up to eight weeks!
- Spice rubs – There are several recipes on the Internet that you can find for spice rubs. Combine spices in a pretty jar with a suggested use for a quick, yet thoughtful gift.
- License: Creative Commons image source
Amy Richards is a freelance writer who loves to give custom gift baskets as presents to all her family and friends. She’s always determined to include at least one of her DIY projects, to really show how much she cares for those she’s giving gifts to.